Saturday

Weight loss should be No Sweat (ok maybe a little sweat)

I have some unusual opinions when it comes to exercise. I believe exercise is not the number one weight loss tool. In fact, it comes a few steps down for me. I in no way want to diminish the need for exercise. It is vital to our health and well being - I am a true believer in that. However, my criticism is about exercise for weight loss.

I believe and have lived the truth that when I "new years resolutioned" to exercise I did not really lose weight. I might have lost fat and gained muscle and that is good but I did not lose weight or drop sizes significantly. I am often surprised when I speak to people and they believe that they will have to devote hours a day to the gym in order to lose their weight. Not True. Whether it is good news or not, eating is the key.

In the beginning of weight loss there will be some discomfort. You will feel a some hunger. You will mourn a little for the change you are and will experience - no one loves change, even good change. BUT, it will get better. Our bodies adjust to our changes and they become the new norm. I used to get the two cheeseburger meal at McDonalds. It was just what I did. I questioned myself one day why I needed two, I ate only one and although I wasn't my usual full/stuffed self I was really okay. Now I don't have that nagging feeling of wanting more - my body has adjusted.

I say take a short two weeks to "go for it" and plan for feelings and emotions to arise. After the two weeks re-evaluate. How bad was it? If it was horrible then add some more daily calories and try again. Yes there is discomfort and the like but it should not be devastating. Your body will rebel against devastating.

More than any other tool to weight loss, finding your own balance with your food is the key. We have to be at peace with the amount of food we eat and our size. As you work to find that balance the exact point will become more clear.  You will feel better than you have ever felt and your summit will be sweet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment