Friday



Today I watch Steel Magnolias - a favorite of many.  It is not for me.  From the first fumbling steps of Annell walking down the street I get a lump in my throat.  Every wide eyed smile and Pepto Bismol pink in every scene haunts me knowing they will only be a memory with a ting of pain by the end of the movie.  I do love the last scene.  It is refreshing and  cleansing - I  guess that is the appeal of it.  But, help me girls.  What am I missing?  I think the acting is astounding and I covet the friendships.  I always seem to crave fried chicken "made from christian women", some cake, "calories calories" and a really good cherry Coke afterwords.   

It makes me ponder though.   Am I willing to live life "nothing special" instead of "30 minutes of wonderful"?   Some may think I am saying throw away the diet and LIVE.  But, are you really living to eat chicken, cake and a cherry Coke?  It that real happiness or is the food masking something or a crutch to get through the day? I know both of those were truths for me.  Leftover chocolate chip cookies would get me out of bed some mornings.

However, stop guilting yourself for every bite you take.  Life is  to be enjoyed.  The line between the crutch and enjoyment is very thin but can make all the difference in your 30, 60 or a 1,000 minutes of wonderful. 

1 comment:

  1. Momma, my colors are blush and bashful. Shelby, your colors are pink and pink. I have picked two of the most wonderful shades of pink. One is much, much darker than the other. :)

    I love that show. I know some don't, but I love all the one liners and the deep friendships. Sometimes it is those relationships that can really get you through a tough time.

    As for calories, I think balance comes in to play. Sometimes I weigh the event. Are the calories worth it in that moment - ya know what I mean? ex: If I am on a hot date with Ryan, and I want to celebrate in that moment, it is okay to share the cake. If I'm sitting alone watching a show... do I need the calories? No, you never need the calories, and I can even turn them down the cake on the date. But, sometimes it is about the moment. Does that make sense.

    Plus, if weight and calories are more of a lifestyle than a choice, it makes things easier. You can have the cake once in a while because you know you are burning the calories.

    ReplyDelete