Wednesday

Should Shows

 A few years ago I took a stand against morning TV.  I was struggling with my self-esteem and just never felt good enough.  I got on my knees and prayed.  It sounds weird but one of the things whispered to me was to "stop with all that morning TV".  As I watched for the next few days (I am a slow obey-er), I began to see that they were all a bunch of "should shows" - as I like to call them.  One segment is on how you "should" apply your make-up, another is how you "should" cook healthier and yet another tells us how stars are doing such and such and we can and "should" follow. 

The light bulb finally went off when I heard two contradictory "shoulds".  It was then that I started to understand that facts and opinions are very different and that really there are very little fact and a whole lot opinion and since having opinions was modeled as the ultimate "should", I would (not should) follow my own and be "in" all the time. 

I occasionally watch morning TV but I always keep my ears open for a "should".  It is kind of a game.  There are lots of things to be learned from TV of any kind, I am not anti TV.  I am just a little more cautious.  Check out this post from about a year back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment