Thursday

Old Trucks



I remember being at a friend's house in high school and a sort of war erupted.  My friend's little sister needed to be dropped off at an after school event and the only vehicle available was their grandpa's old truck.  She was not about to have that kind of mark on her reputation.  After several minutes of drama it was comical.  We tried to calm her down and make her see that this was "not that big of a deal".

I am not sure of the outcome but that experience has always left a mark on me.  It was silly the way she was so upset but I have had my own silly insecurities.  It was clear to me that if she had just jumped out of the car with confidence and a no-big-deal attitude, no one would give it a second thought.  Sure, a stupid kid might say something but even that stupid kid would not tie that truck to her for the rest of existence.  If she got out of the car timidly and apologized and made excuses to everyone, they might actually notice and maybe make a judgment.  Her attitude was the only factor that could make a difference in the outcome.  Even if judgments were made her attitude and deflection still really had the power. 

Am I making my the scene clear?  I feel like I am dragging it on.  Anyway, the good news is we have the power.  If I was to go to a party and was a little insecure about my dress, my experience would not be as positive as if I held my head high and worked it.  Although we can't just flip a switch and have confidence, we can gain it.  The mind power I preach and teach is the key.  Fake 'til you make it I say.  I remember seeing a picture of a teacher years later and for the first time seeing that she was a bigger lady.  She had such enthusiasm there was no time to be bothered with seeing her weight.  Her attitude made all the difference.  The percentage of women sitting at their perfect weight with their perfect shape is next to none.  We are all on the same side. 


These life examples were the things rolling around in my head when I had my aha.  I just wanted to be okay with where I was.  I was getting there.  I was feeling good when I dressed up.  I was secure.  It was only then that I could hit the jackpot.  I admit it seems logical that getting in shape would come first but truly it does not. 

1 comment:

  1. I too love the "fake it till you make it" phrase. I've said that to the YW and to my kids often. It isn't that you are trying to be something that you aren't, it is just that you are helping your mind to see what you truly want to become. It does work. It is almost like a secret weapon you can pull out anytime you want.

    ReplyDelete