Wednesday

Dear UIMB

UIMB (UncomfortableInMyBody) said... I'm sitting at my computer eating another cookie. I'm not fully on board yet.

I appreciated your post yesterday. It's funny and kind of sad ... I can see how writing happy thoughts down and going over them would help me. But I didn't do it today. Maybe I lack the discipline to do it. Do you think maybe I just need to grow up and start doing it?

I'll make my list now. I hope against hope it is as simple as you say but somehow I don't believe it. Maybe the only way I'll know is if I test it.


The brain is a funny thing.  All of us have similar tissue all strung up together inside our skull.  Have you ever thought how amazing it is that cells with the same molecular structure could create so many different people with different looks and experiences?  The mind itself is just tissue.  But, everything you have touched, tasted or felt has been processed there.  For several different reasons an opinion was created each time something was experienced.  If fact, they say that the tissue of the intestines are most like the tissue of the brain - furthering my food/mind connection theories. 

I would always joke that somewhere out there could be someone that loved Jello like nothing else.  I would think about what my life would be like if I wanted nothing but Jello for dessert.  "Want this molten chocolate cake with Creme Anglaise and fresh raspberries?"  "No, thanks.  I would rather eat this sugar free lime Jello. MMMMMmmm".  I seriously would imagine loving the cool taste of the Jello tartness - wanting to change my experience with Jello to a holy one.  It never quite worked but I did come to realize how fluid our likes and dislikes are.  For example, I never used to like chocolate orange sticks but when I was in Jr-high I went on vacation with my sister and we ate sour cream and onion Pringles and orange sticks that were warm from the heat of the car.  I now love orange sticks (not so much the Pringles for some reason).  I love them more because of the experience, really.  The joy eating them is triggered as much by the happy memory as the taste, even if the memory doesn't necessarily come to my mind.

So, my point in all this is...yes, it helps.  If we can work with our brains we can change them.  At first, in that back of our minds, we will be thinking "this is never going to work".  But, if we work past that point our minds stop fighting it and then eventually starts to accept.  Yesterday my sweet four year old had a fit on the floor at the grocery store.  A full on fit.  Because this is my fourth and last child, I had enough sense to remain calm talking to her and let it just play out.   After a short while the fit was too much to continue and we were off to the dairy isle.  Strong emotions don't last very long even if we want them to and this can work to our advantage when we want to change our thinking.

Good luck to you, uncomfortablyinmybody.  You have a journey ahead of you but without even meeting you I know you posses qualities desired by others.  Everyone has special gifts to give the world and you need to discover them and share them.          

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting post. I can identify with my family's fudge recipe. I love it, but maybe I love it because there are good bonding memories associated with it. I also know I love it because it is LOADED with sugar, but I think the feelings certainly help our love of the cursed thing. :)

    ReplyDelete