Wednesday

Eat Less...Easy!

There is no way around it.  The reason I have lost weight is because I eat less than I used to.  Although the idea of less used to scare me, there were a few experiences that helped me "see the light".

My hubby had a friend at work whose  daughter was doing a Shakespearean theater dinner.  (Yes, this was you Sarah K.)  He bought our tickets and we went.  We did not know a soul there and were really there out of kindness and support (sorry Sarah, we didn't know you as well;).  Our dinner consisted of a salad, a chicken quarter (leg and thigh) mixed vegetables, some instant potatoes and maybe a roll.  The dessert was some kind of tart cheesecake thing, not really sure.  It was not horrible - regardless of how it sounds, it was good.  We ate very slowly, in three courses.  As we walked out I commented how although there was only a little food (by then standards) I was quite contented.  My hubby was still hungry but he gets an additional 1000 calories to be hungry with.  I, myself, was amazed.

I often reflect on that night as a learning point in my life.  One of my first goals was to stop eating after 7:30pm.  The first week was hard but then it wasn't.  To this day I feel a little sick when I eat later - not eating later was something that I never even considered before.  My appetite has definitely changed.  When the mental part is conquered the eating less is really not that hard.

Another example.  When my hubby and I were dating we would meet for lunch and our favorite spot was Arby's.  (Hey, we were right out of high school - yes, we were high school sweethearts.)
 Anywho, we would order a french dip with swiss - he the footlong and me the six inch, he with a'jus me without, both with lots and lots of Arby's sauce.  One day he ordered me a footlong and I remember being sickly stuffed.  I remember remembering that feeling one day when the footlong slid down to my tummy without a single struggle and I vowed to change.  I returned to the six inch and within a short period of time, didn't mind at all.  Same story with McDonald's two cheeseburger meal.  One burger really can cut it.  I was choosing more because... there was more.  The emotional part of me was in charge rather than my rational part.  Not that I would have cried without the extra six inches or burger but I definitely did not eat them out of hunger.

Find a time when the motivation is high and try cutting back - not cutting too much.  Test yourself for a week.  See if you really miss it.  Start small and work slowly and slowly twenty pounds will come off.  I am all for slow.  Slow helps conquer the same kinds of emotional triggers with the extra six inches and burger but in reverse.    

1 comment:

  1. So.... you're saying I should have only eaten half of my giant Tootsie Roll Stick instead of the whole thing as I sat here and read your blog. :)

    Great post. It is so true. We really don't need ALL THAT FOOD. I think one of the problems (beside our own self control) is our culture. When we get together, there is always food. You bring this, I bring that. Bottom line... food.

    You can't just get together and talk. It would be weird. Lately, such get togethers have been my downfall with watching what I eat. You say, it's Christmas... I can cheat. Then it's Valentines, I can cheat. I think that would be fine if that were all it was. But... we have an "event" like every week. It seems like the temptation is always there. Even things like RS mtgs. The treat... it always looks so good.

    I need to find better coping strategies for events. I seem to do okay at home or when I feel in control, but at a Sunday extended family dinner, how do you say no to the extra rolls, the brownies for dessert, the breaded chicken, etc.... It is much more difficult.

    Tell me your tricks. :)

    ReplyDelete