Wednesday

Go Veggies!

I just read an article that was warning us about the rise is food prices, especially fruits and vegetables.  Yikes!  It is hard to maintain a healthy diet when the cost of those essentials can bust the bank.   So, I am going to try to give you some ideas to help ease the wallet at the store.

1. One of my best and proudest money savers is my cleanser recipe.  This is used as a replacement for glass cleaner but I have cleaned my bathroom with this as well.  Take that empty Windex bottle and fill it with warm water (only to help mix, no need to add warm at every use) and a couple of squeezes of dish detergent.  I buy a big bottle of blue Dawn and it has lasted forever.  It even looks like Windex and I love this even more for mirrors and glass.  Dish detergent has been THEE very best granite cleaner I have used.  Try it, you won't be disappointed.  

2. Invest in some dryer balls and then reduce or skip the fabric softener.  I did this a few months ago and I have noticed my clothes are dryer faster.  I still use a little softener for the smell factor but I am open to skip it once my supply runs out.

3. Watch ads and clip coupons whenever possible.  There are several websites like  smartsource.com   that will let you print out coupons.  I think I bought that big bottle of Dawn for 99 cents when I used a coupon while it was on sale. 

4. Sometimes the price is worth it.  When you take into account the guilt factor, the way-you-feel factor and the cost later on in health care costs the price is greatly reduced.  Remember, demand influences the price so if we all demand better food then the prices will come down.

5. Checked out the frozen food isle lately?  It is fabulous.  There are all kinds of stir fry mixes as well as add-ins that make life easy and delicious.  You would have to spend $10-15 to buy all the different things that come in these already prepped mixes.  Stay away from any that come with "sauce" if possible.  Just add a little salt and pepper and steam in the microwave, YUM!  (remember this is not chocolate yum)  

Good luck at the grocery store next time and pick up a little something different in the produce section.  You might surprise yourself at what your adult taste buds favor. 

Today I grabbed Kale and tonight I am making...

Chef Tom's "Smoked" Kale Chips
Prep time 5 min Cook Time 10 min

    * 1 bunch of Kale
    * 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Sesame Oil
    * 1 Tbs fine sea salt
    * 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika


Wash kale thoroughly, let dry.

With a knife or kitchen scissors, remove the thick stem in the middle of each Kale leaf. Tear the remaining leaf into chip size pieces.

Drizzle kale with Olive Oil, sea salt and smoked paprika

Load sheet tray with one layer of Kale and cook in 350 oven for 10-15 minutes / until edges are slightly brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment