Tuesday

Oprah, How I Love Thee

So just when Two pounds starts to run my life my fairy-godmother, Oprah, saves the day.  Did you see her show yesterday?  If not come by and we will watch it together.  Women Food and God was the topic again - just in time to put me in my place. 

As soon as two pounds or 12 pounds or 50 pounds or more starts to be the reason for anything the point of living is lost; however, the weight ever-so-diligently stays for a long visit.  Eating is about nourishing your body and enjoying life.  One might say that it is very enjoyable to eat a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Is it?  Is the taste and texture of the cookies the whole point or is it great because it takes the place of something else - boredom, anger, frustration or even happiness?  In a quiet room focusing on the cookies and how they taste and their texture, thinking of nothing else, I would bet the whole batch would not even seem appetizing.  I loved when Geneen Roth said you can't "just love food" because when you love something, really love something, you cherish it and take time with it.  You will never convince me that eating a bag of chips in under an hour was love.  It was something else.  It doesn't have to be such a deep concept either - boredom is not a psychological issue.

Take time to listen to your body.  What does it want, really want?       

No comments:

Post a Comment