Monday

Tasters VS Fullers

 
I was talking with my hubby last night.  We had planned to cook something together that we had never tried to make before - just for fun.  Hubby decided he wanted us to try to make chocolate mousse.  It was a fun little date together -  I highly recommend it.  As we sat down to eat it I quickly finished cleaning up before I took my first bite.  He wondered out loud if it really tasted better if the dishes were done.  My answer was "yes without a doubt".  It spawned a discussion.  Was this some kind of OCD behavior or something else?  I feel like this is a behavior that has had a big part in my weight loss.  I have such reverence for food now that I want to give it my full attention.  I want to enjoy every last lick of my spoon.  I am a taster vs a fuller.  Let me explain.

I have found that people are usually one of two types of eaters.  There are those that love that full tummy at the end of a meal and those, like me, that just want to taste what they want to taste.  I am perfectly happy (with a few exceptions) eating a leftover mousse for breakfast.  I am in no way full, maybe even a little hungry, but since there is nothing that can top the taste I have just experienced, I have no desire to eat something more.  I may have to adjust my meals a little but it was totally worth it.  My hubby is a fuller type eater.  He enjoys the warm endorphins of a full stomach.  He goes to the refrigerator with a plan to get full where as I go to find something good to eat.

Fullers have a bit of a challenge at meal time.  If they ate the mousse for breakfast (and who in their right mind would turn it down) they would not be satisfied and need more calories in order to do so.  A fuller needs a lot of low calorie/ high density foods around.  A bowl of  oatmeal with an apple before the mousse would be wise and then the mousse can be a taste verses the meal.  A fuller needs to pay close attention to their own desires which can conflict with generally accepted ones.  Dessert may not matter to a fuller yet grandma Jane would not quite understand this and the fuller pleases grandma more than him or herself.  (Ask her to wrap it up for you that you will love it after lunch tomorrow.  Then waste for heaven sakes.  It is not a sin and she will never know.)

Tasters have their pitfalls as well.  If a taster is craving a certain taste but can't get it, they can eat a lot of calories trying to satisfy the craving.  Ironically, being too hungry can send a taster into a tailspin.  A taster might not recognize hunger as easily as a fuller would - until it is too late. 

Each of us can be a fuller or a taster at different times.  When you wake up in the morning take a minute and figure out what you are that day.  It will give you an idea as to how to eat that day.  Fuller days take a little more planning and taster days may require a trip to the store.  Here is an article I found helpful for both tasters and fullers.


Here is the beloved mousse recipe.  It is about 350 calories for 1/6 of recipe with a dollop of cream on top, which is a must!  The date is optional but again "highly recommended"... the dessert after the dessert is calorie free;D


   

2 comments:

  1. ok that was awesome! I learned something new about my self and how I eat! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so if I have to eat the WHOLE bag of dark chocolate Cadbury eggs does that make me a fuller and a taster or just a big pig. :)

    Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete