Thursday

For Brindy

Hey Brindy,
I did some research and this article was the one I liked the best.  I liked the part where you weigh in and see if you are on the right path.  Losing a lot of weight fast would be great but it is not a long term solution.  Your body is trying it's hardest to stay even-steven.  You need to get it used to any changes slowly.  Otherwise, you risk your body turning on you with things like unquenchable cravings or slowing your metabolism to the point of just plateauing.  Every once in a while you need to shake things up but your body likes consistency most of the time. 
I believe it takes a good 8-9 months for the body to begin to have it's shape back after a baby.  Your mommy instincts are taking over and that is just right.  In Myfitnesspal add an exercise of about 500 calories (you lucky puppy), you can call it breastfeeding or providing life sustainability of a human or heroic motherly duty or whatever.  Add it everyday as an exercise then reduce it as you nurse less and less.
Also, if you haven't been exercising start with 5 simple exercises in 3 sets of 15 with emphasis on building muscle as opposed to anything that makes you huff and puff.  Do some arm exercises or try some simple pilates moves.  You are in a great place.  Use this time to make some good habits and gear up for when you are done nursing and can go full speed.  Think about what you eat and how you eat.  Is it always just out of hunger or is there more?  Explore your thoughts and emotions about food like you never have before.  Pay attention to your different types of hunger (another post idea).  Give yourself a hunger scale from 1-5, 5 being full and 1 starved and pay attention to where you are when you eat.  I am so excited for you Brindy.  You can do this!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mechelle, I feel honored that I got my own post. :) So in my "Goals" section, I put 1800 calories as my "Net Calories Consumed"? Do I tell it I want to lose 1 lb. a week, is that a good # when nursing? I'm trying to figure out how to customize my fitness goals on MFP, I may need to call you. :) THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just go through the Goals section like normal and then add the breastfeeding as an exercise everyday. I think pound a week is fine just as long as you remember to also eat your exercise calories. They will be automatically added into your foods section if you add the exercise under cardio. Call anytime!

    ReplyDelete