Thursday

Exercise those Demons

Exercise is a dirty word around here, I have to admit. I have "started" exercising about 20 or so times in my adult life. One of the big things that held me back from losing the weight earlier was a big fear of failing. I couldn't wrap my head around "for the rest of my life". I thought "if I know I won't be running on the treadmill everyday for...ever, why even start".

One of my biggest breakthroughs was to let go of that mentality. I would exercise today and if tomorrow didn't work out then so be it. It was freeing! There was a small simple mind switch that allowed me to just focus on today.

A big help was to start out with less than I knew I was capable of. If I "only" had to do 20 minutes then I could hate it for 20 minutes and move on. I didn't try to do the whole see-if-you-can-talk test. I didn't make myself sweat large amounts of sweat. I just got on and moved. By luck, I used that time to really talk to myself about what I was undertaking. I thought and thought and asked myself questions and judged how life and this "lifestyle" was going. I knew that if I wasn't happy or at least content then this was not a life long change and failure was eminent. Was I starving? Was I feeling motivated? Am I craving anything? All kinds of questions. There are times when life gets stressful and that time has been invaluable to helping me work things out. All of this happens in a quiet room with no music or tv or anything. It sounds so-not-fun, but if you really make use of the time to meditate you will learn you NEED it.

After a while my questions brought me to "am I going to exercise like this forever?". A little panic started in. I wasn't ready to up my time or do anything else different for that matter. So, I just maintained my course. Eventually, my questions brought me to "I think I can up my tension on the elliptical". Or, "today I need the Ipod to get me through and that is ok". I had learned to listen to myself and not worry about if this decision today has to effect all decisions later. This trust moved over to my food as well. Just because I ate cookies for breakfast today doesn't mean that should effect any decisions later. Freeing I tell you!

Here are some little shortcuts to make life a little easier when starting the exercise thing. Remember these are not shoulds, just ideas.

1. Start out easy.
You might think that you should work it while the motivation is there but remember, infatuation is not love. You will lose that initial high you get. We are here for a total life change. If you are wanting a quick fix that is different. This will start that lifelong relationship with exercise.
2. Use sets
If you need to change things up try switching to a set program. Whatever you are doing break it up into 3 sets. If you walk for 30 minutes do three sets of 10 minutes with breaks in between. I do weights in 3 sets of 15 increments.
3. Create smaller goals
This encompasses the other two. Anything you can do to reach smaller goals helps the psyche want to stick with it. Maybe when you burn 50 calories you will start running backwards or crunch down or stand tall for another 50 calories. Some days I am only making it by the skin of my teeth, but I make it! And, those days are really some of the most rewarding.
4. Use your core
When doing any exercise if you can use your stomach muscles to help, you will find it easier. Test it out, try walking with your shoulders slumped and tummy out and then with your back straight and tummy in. There is a world of difference in your endurance if you use your core.
5. Time it short
Not only start out easy but time should be taken into consideration as well. By the time you make a trip to the gym, shower and be on your way, hours can pass. If that is fine with you then great. But, if that schedule invades on your life then it will soon go bye bye. Start out small and let your time increase step by step or not at all like me. I still do 20 minutes but I more focus on little goals and some days that may take 22 minutes. Some days I go 30 minutes because I just feel like it. Can you imagine? ...Feeling like it? AAAAAHHH (in my most angelic voice)

When it comes to exercise there is not instant gratification, we have to trust that success will come at some point. Find any way you can to achieve little success and the biggest success of all WILL COME! You can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment