Thursday

I'm non and proud of it ..but wait there is more

So, I am a "Mormon".  Not to be confused with moron (although some would argue for that definition of me as well) - "Mor mon".  I use the quotes because many times Mormon is used with misunderstood ideas, although it is not offensive for you to call us Mormons.  I would say all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are Mormons but not all that call themselves Mormons belong to... that long title I just typed. Click on the link if you are confused. Anyway,  why does this have anything to do with food and dieting?  I will tell you:D

One of the things Mormons are known for is their "non" lifestyle - non drinker, smoker etc.  When one tries to sum up this, we call it the word of wisdom, doctrine it tends to have a lot of interpretation so I thought I would refer to it in its entirety here.  Notice the year it was written, 1833.  Over 120 years before the first ideas of tobacco being a health hazard were published in 1952's Readers Digest.  Madmen, it's educational....(you don't know how funny that is).          

It is short.  No tracking system will hunt you down and baptize you in your sleep.  It is just for you to read for yourself - no strings attached.  I'll wait.

So, as you can see, it is a very simple lifestyle plan - eat good foods, sleep, exercise, don't smoke or consume "strong drink".  I mean the calories alone are enough to scare me away.  Four ounces of wine can have anywhere between 77-105 calories.  Now, I know myself and 4 oz would not cut it, better for me to stop at none.  Check out this fitness article on the subject.

There is a lot more to the actual doctrine than the "non"s.  Most of us Mormons need to work on that part.  Are we eating the best foods?  Are we treating our bodies with respect and giving it the rest and exercise it needs?  Pointing fingers does nothing but I would bet we could all improve - me included. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this one. Thanks for that - especially the last part about improving on what we "should be" doing rather than on what we are not. So true.

    FYI - have you tried the new yogurt place in K-town yet. Oh. My. Heck. So good! Where does getting 2 in 2 days put me in the eat a well balanced diet category? :) Don't answer that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh. My. Heck." Jennie you are such a Mo;D

    I love ya! [not in the sister wife (I think that is what they call it) way, just the nice and friendly way]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen this article? Kinda interesting. Thought you might like it.

    http://www.candidrd.com/2010/07/im-full-but-i-want-that-cake-whats-deal.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article on the word of wisdom. Your blogs are always a good read.

    ReplyDelete