Thursday

A Theory is Born

We have all had a thin friend that seems to be able to eat anything they want. We see them down a double cheeseburger without thought and envy her every bite. Their metabolism would sale on Ebay for all the money the mint could make (Oprah would see to that) and here you sit. You have tasted every available Lean Cuisine and your daily treat is that spoon of peanut butter you "allow" yourself. You are fat. It sounds harsh coming from me but you say it to yourself at least a hundred times a day. You are what you are is a dirty phrase you keep locked in the depths of the brain. Maybe you try to accept this person you are but deep down you want something better.
I hear you. I was all those things. But, then I had an idea that kept growing and growing until a new truth was born. This is in no way scientific although I will try my best to sound that way;0

So, here goes.

I think I was watching or reading, again, about how weight was genetic and how I was doomed to big thighs and a chubby tummy when it hit me. Seriously, a 500 pound person and a 120 pound person could both be on the same diet for a year and still look the same? Because the were born that way? What about a 200 pound person and a 120 pound person? If they both ate the exact same foods for one year would they both remain the same body shape and weight? There is no way that any thin person alive could eat like a heavy person and not gain weight. I bet after a year of the heavy person eating like the thin person (cheeseburgers and all) would they not look thinner?

My theory began. What if the thin person had a natural instinct that balanced out their diet? Like children, sometimes they eat more and we say "they are having a growth spurt". Then, eventually, they scale back to their old selves. What if smaller portions could be my natural choices - my instinct? What if that balance of more one day then less the next could be just-the-norm for me? I believed that I could configure my brain to take on this mindset and it worked! Additionally, I thought about how the brain works. When my hand gets too close to a hot object my brain sends signals within milliseconds to pull that hand away. If my brain is working in my best interest without conscience thought then what is conscience thought doing to me? If every bite I take is smothered in guilt and thoughts of self-disgust are brought to the surface ... how many times a day? What are these messages sending my body? You can not spend 1/2 hour on the treadmill and 23 1/2 hours disgusted with yourself and wonder why that 30 minutes is not working. Your thoughts count a lot in this.

So, in summery. There is no such thing as a healthy person that can eat like a hog and not be shaped like one. TA DA that skinny little chick and you are a lot the same! The difference is in the desires and choices. If we can work on that balance mechanically, at first, then it can become natural. That is where the work is - the part between mechanical and natural. A few short months I'd say. A cheeseburger one day and a salad the next. A little more at the party then a little less at work the next day. Eat whatever you want just log it and balance it out!

But the most important part is the mind set. Keep the positive vibes flowing. If you eat that cheeseburger then you dang well better enjoy it. You desperately need to build trust with your self-conscience and body. You need to create successes instead of failures. Your body doesn't understand pleading, whining and insecurity. Tell your body what is going to happen and you will be surprised at how it obeys. You can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment